Travelling without ticket(Mangalore)- Down the memory lane

1:10 AM Shetty Anirudh 22 Comments


This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 49; the forty-ninth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


mangalore karntaka bus
Pic from Mangalorean.com
Born and brought up in mumbai, travelling without ticket did seem like a normal thing to do, for people travelling in Mumai locals. I wouldn't advice that though. But what I advice you to never do is to travel without ticket in busses of Mangalore, Karnataka.

After I shifted to manglore, I came across the most efficient bus conductors whom you couldn't fool. Their stares would make anyone feel terrible and petrified. The dialogues and taunts, of course Rajnikanth had to be a bus conductor before.
rajnikanth as bus driver





This is my story about how I managed to travel without ticket in a express bus in mangalore.
Like all the epic experiences, this happened in my final year of engineering. I had been to my friend's place in lalbagh to do some coding for my final Year Project. As his room had wifi, this was the optimal place where all friends would often meet up for project work. My other friends couldn't make it on that day, I was alone in the room. I started in afternoon and coded all my way till it started getting dark. With the concentration I was in, I didnt realise how time flew. I had to make it home before 7, so I didnt even switch on the lights and got ready in a jiffy. Going through my wallet I realized I dint have any cash. I saw my friend's bag nearby, I searched it for some cash. Luckily maybe, I got his wallet which had some notes of 100. At least it looked liked that. I grabed one and left.
I got a bus fron Lalbagh. It was an express to Udupi. While on the bus, I texted my friend that I had taken some cash from his wallet. His reply came "My wallet? Did it have cash?" Before I could reply, the conductor was in front of me. I took out my wallet, and got the note which apparently looked like a Hundred rupee note. Didnt look very familiar though, I couldn't find Gandhiji in it. It struck me then, it was Nepal's Currency.My friend was from Nepal. Now I knew why he was shocked when I told him that I took money from his wallet. While I was figuring out all that in my mind, the conductor got impatient. He had seen me getting nervous and flipping the wierd note. I had to respond, I did a hand gesture indicating "NO". That made his expression go "What?!". I then did another hand gesture "wait". He moved to the front. I gave a sigh of relief thinking atleast he didn't make me get down. Next I used my message typing skills, to immediately message three of my friends who lived near surathkal about my situation. One of my friend told he is on his way to surathkal and he could help if he reaches before the bus. Next thing was a race between the bus and my friend. Keeping fingers crossed all the way till Surathkal also didnt help me. The bus had reached surathkal and my friend was still far behind.
I had no option, I had to get down. The moment I stepped out of the bus, conductor was in front of me. I freezed and could sense a sharp insult or taunt coming my way. The conductor yelled "Udupi Manipal Udupi Manipal.......". I moved out of his way. Afer I strode a few steps ahead, I turned back. I could see the conductor smiling at me. He had not forgot, instead he had understood and spared me.

That's when I stopped stereotyping conductors and realised they are not so bad afterall.

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Participation Count: 01

22 comments:

  1. Haha .. I thought he would allow you a free ride... I am from Mumbai too and yes I never travel from local train without ticket. Have you been to Thane station? There are TCs there most of the time and from such a large crowd I am one of some whom they ask for ticket.. It happens every time without fail. I wonder what they see ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there aint any chances of escape in mangalore buses..

      Btw am back in mumbai...yupps thane n dadar ..lot of them TTs.. and ya i too get the same..in goregoan station...different cause on purpose I walk towards them :D

      Delete
  2. I can understand how terribly strange you must have felt when you found Nepal currency and how clueless to answer next. It was great reading your venturous memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange, scared and couldn't stop laughing at self :D

      Thanks for stoppinh by.
      Keep reading

      Delete
  3. Oh my God. It must be very embarrassing for you. Good that you came out without much insult to injury. Very interesting narrative. ATB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embarrassing yet wierdly funny...
      ;) :D
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. What a kind man!
    I am so glad for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehee...yes he was..

      Thanks for reading..

      Delete
  5. Yeah. Some are decent, but some are terrible. One guy made me alight because he didn't want to return 4 bucks change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!!where?! See those are the root cause o
      For the stereotyping

      Delete
  6. interesting incident, very well narrated.

    My BAT entry Torn Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Cifar.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting trip 'down the memory lane' :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incident to be remembered. Maybe that conductor went down his memory lane when he travelled without ticket, and was kind to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya maybe that :)
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Keep reading.

      Delete
  10. You're running late for a class and the queue at the ticket counter is huge, Mumbai local leaves you with the only choice to travel without a ticket and pray you don't get yourself caught....I have been in that very position and when you're nearing your destination station your heart starts pounding like crazy and your eyes go out looking for that one person you don't wanna see today!!! Hahahaha epic!!! Well written mate!!! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya can relate with that :D

      More worse is when you are taking tickets everyday an noone comes to check..LOL

      Keep reading.

      Delete
  11. very interesting...enjoyed your experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by.

      Keep reading. :)

      Delete