Why didn't you shave? - #WillYouShave

7:42 AM Shetty Anirudh 2 Comments

Ask me."Will you shave?"

I will be taken back to those days of engineering, when the question
"Why didn't you shave" was thrown at me repeatedly.

 You can read my previous posts on similar topics

Will you Shave? - #WillYouShave

Why do I have to Shave? - #WillYouShave


There is only one situation in which a Engineering students faces most scary questions all at once.
A VIVA
Even the most difficult theory subject won't give a student goosebumps like the VIVA does. Reason there is a arrogant big eyed external staring right into your eyes making it difficult to even breathe, let alone think.

So this is what happened to me in a VIVA.

I used to be among those chilled out who believe that Fear is what makes situations more scary. In my first year, I did not fear VIVA that much.
I knew at the maximum I may not answer a few questions and get a few taunts on my knowledge. Couple of stares & speeches that's it.

Then Mechanical Engineering VIVA happened.

My branch was Computer science and so I didn't bother much about joints, welding, fabrication and all the mechanical jargon.
The syllabus said we computer engineers need to know how to shape things out of scrap metal.
I understand it may be both a science & art, the people from this field would be offended by my opinions. Sorry for that mechies, but I don't have anything against Mechanical engineers. It is the universities and the syllabus which are at fault.

So getting back to the topic, all that said about Mech engineering subject I was least prepared for the Viva. I managed to get past the practicals by some how filing, chipping and getting the asked shape. Then the time for VIVA came.

I entered the room, where a short man was sitting almost on the edge of a cushion chair. In front of him, on the table were plates with breakfast and a juice box and in his hands were my answer sheets.
My first thought was "Hope the canteen breakfast spread did not piss him off already"
When I approached the table, I realized that he had no interest in the breakfast. The Masala dosa was untouched. Later I was gonna realize, he had planned to have the students for breakfast.
When he felt my presence, he lifted his head from my paper and asked me to take a seat. It was a very cold and expressionless gesture.
Yet he had not managed to scare me. As I sat I observed a fountain pen in the pocket of his white shirt. He looked like he was in his 50's, yet did not explain the legacy fountain pen. I sat with a smirk on my face and the first question was fired
"Engineering or Medical?”

"Sorry?” 
"Engineering” I continued
"Then what is with the crooked handwriting?”
I smiled, my first mistake.
"Your College doesn't have any rules?”
What annoys a student more than a poorly planned syllabus is a out of syllabus question. He was completely out of context. I stayed quiet.
"You may have studied hard for this VIVA exam?”
That is when fear gripped me. I was trying hard to remember this person now, have I ever met him before and misbehaved? I did not remember teasing any girl either who may turn out to be his daughter.
I managed to speak.
"Why sir?”
"You did not get time to shave?”
It hit me then. He was not a big fan of a rugged look.
"Sorry sir” that was all I could manage to tell. Thinking that a apology may end that topic. I was wrong.
"Why didn't you shave? How would you feel if I would come in as a external looking like you?”
That's when I observed he was the follower of clean shave & polish look.
I knew I would be damned!
What followed next was a process of inducing the well known fear of VIVA in the care free me. Around 20 questions which I never heard of. 
After every unanswered question he wold say.
"You studied so much for this exam that you did not have time to shave....yet you cant answer"

I knew I was in trouble. The smirk I had when I had entered the room was on his face now, a more wicked one.



From that day on wards it was official. I would sport a clean shave even for my theory exams. 

So this was how my Rugged look got me into a interrogation "Why didn't you shave?"

I am sure you readers too may have some stories to share about this topic.
You too  can blog about your #WillYouShave stories and if lucky even win prizes!!

I thank Blogadda and Gillete to come with this blog prompt as I got a reason to share my story with all the readers!

I tag Rakshitha Hegde - http://rakshithahegde.blogspot.in


Ajay Pai - http://ajthedad.blogspot.in


Jigish Shah - http://jigishblaze.wordpress.com


to take up this #WillYouShave challenge and Blog about it!!


'This post is a part of #WillYouShave activity 
at BlogAdda in association with Gillette'

Visit BlogAdda for more! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have tagged you in my post Diary Confessions - 8 for BlogAdda #WillYouShave activity. I hope you will accept it.

    ReplyDelete